Tioman is an island off the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, hailed as a geological wonder, ecological paradise and one of Southeast Asia's most beautiful travel destinations. the island is 32 nautical miles from the mainland (Pahang), but you can get there by ferry from Mersing or Tanjong Gemok (also: Gemuk). The island enchants the visitors with its warm beaches, beautiful seas and lush rainforests.
The two ferry terminals are about 30 - 40 coins away from each other. Newer than the terminal in Mersing, Tanjung Gemok is a much-loved gateway to the elegant duty-free island of Tioman. Gemok is located at the mouth of the Endau River. Direct bus services are available from Kuala Lumpur to Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal, as well as buses departing from both Singapore and Johor Bahru. Since 2018, the Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal has been making efforts to offer more frequent schedules, going to exciting destinations.
Traveling by bus to Gemok remains a top choice for many travelers as ticket prices are within an affordable range.
Ferries offer daily trips, departing from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal, including Blue Water Express and Cataferry carriers. Popular destinations on Tioman for sailing are:
- ferry from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Kg Air Batang (Pulau Tioman)
- ferry from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Kg Genting (Pulau Tioman)
- ferry from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Kg Paya (Pulau Tioman)
- ferry from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Kg Salang (Pulau Tioman)
- ferry from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Tekek (Pulau Tioman)
Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminalis as satisfying and exceptional as any other ferry terminals in Malaysia with numerous facilities. The ferry terminal in Tanjung Gemuk makes many trips daily, especially to Tioman Island. For those, who wish to drive to the ferry terminal by car, there is a spacious car park nearby.
Inside the ferry terminal is an information desk. Baggage counters and the customs office are also there for ferries to nearby islands from other areas. The journey from Tanjung Gemok Ferry Terminal to Tioman Island takes approximately 90 minutes.
Specials in/near the Gemok Terminal:
- Luggage counters
- Information Center
- Customs office
- Parking Place
- Nearby resorts and chalets
- Nearby settlement of the Orang Asli
The bus from Kuala Lumpur departs from Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS). The first bus leaves at 4am. Then the following bus schedules are 9am, 11am, 3pm, 5:45pm, 9:30pm and 11pm. The bus trip from Kuala Lumpur to Tanjung Gemok takes approximately 5 hours, depending on traffic conditions. Bus companies:
- S&S International (M) Express
- Sanwa Tours (M) Sdn Bhd
- Sepakat (Mersing)
There are several departure points in Singapore:
- The Plaza (Transnational)
- Golden Mile Tower (Starmart Express)
- Boon Lay (Starmart Express)
- Kovan Hub 206 (KKKL Singapore)
- Bugis MRT Exit D (KKKL Singapore)